Falling in love is one of the most intense experiences we will have in our lifetime. As the attraction begins to grow, some people often lose focus, and find it difficult to control their thoughts, and emotions. As a result, they don’t sleep enough, lack appetite, are less productive, and sometimes lose social contacts.
Elation and obsessive behaviors towards the other person become predominant in our life. Is this type of love the real thing, or are you addicted to the feelings and not the person?
Another term for a love attraction is being lovesick. What is tricky about lovesickness is that it happens when you are truly in love as well as when you are having an episode of love addiction. The essential difference between true love and an addiction episode is that you’re more focused on the person when you’re in love. With a love addiction episode, your focus is on the experience of being in love. Some people just get off on falling in love without regard to the other person.
Love Addiction Symptoms To Look Out For
- A strong urge to attach to someone you don’t know very well.
- Feeling euphoric when you don’t have anything to base it on.
- Losing sleep fantasizing about what is going to happen to us by having a relationship.
- Trying to take control of the other person’s life.
- Thinking and acting on ways to change them.
- Ignoring the way they are responding to us and our actions.
- Seeking relationships from the fear of being alone.
Ways To Know If It Is Real Love
Most of us are looking to create a bond with someone that will last a lifetime. These relationships are built on mutual attraction. Both parties agree on the affection they feel for each other.
Respecting each other as an individual with needs, goals, and dreams comes naturally. There’s honesty and a desire to be truthful with someone you love. Placing the care of those you love over your own needs is strong between those in love.
When the other person enhances your life and makes you feel better about yourself, this makes for a great foundation to build a solid long term relationship.
The Courage To Test The Attraction
Okay, so you have met someone you are strongly attracted to. Are you ready to know if you want this person in your life for a long time?
Here are the ways we can know for sure.
- Hang back and see if the other person shows attraction for us.
- Be honest in our conversations, then gauge the response.
- Do not rush into sexual interaction, but choose to get to know them as a person first.
- Get to know their lifestyle, interests, skills, and ambitions and share ours with them. Ask ourselves if we see compatibility.
- Is a relationship what both of us want and what type?
Trying to force a relationship to work is a doomed relationship most of the time. Love addictions are often forced, so the obsessive, euphoric feelings will last. This can lead to a very hurtful ending. Reserve your heart for someone that will happily reciprocate the feeling and work nurture and grow your relationship. You deserve it.